0Saturday. 2nd February 1861—Exeter House, Roehampton
BaylorBrowning Guide

         Lady Layard’s Journal         
Go to a Date         
Search the Journal         
Following Entry
2 February 1861 — Exeter House, Roehampton
Saturday. 2nd February 1861. Having had breakfast at nine we got into the carriage and drove to the Eastern Counties Station where we met Mr & Mrs Bertie, Kate, and Monty who appeared just as we were leaving. We had a very cheerful journey and arrived here at about 1 A.M. [sic] and saw a great many friends on the platform. The mother, Sch. & I drove straight to the Bull and after changing our gowns we went to Augustus’s rooms where we found a good many people assembled at five o’clock tea. We retired to the Bull changed our gowns and dined with Augustus and Arthur. There were, besides ourselves Lady & Miss Henniker, The Honble J. Henniker-Major The Honble L. Burke– After a very good dinner we went to the Hoop where the A.D.C. performance in honour of the Prince of Wales was given. The pieces acted were “Not a bad judge”—The Thumping Legacy and a new piece written for the occasion by Burnand called The fair maid of Wapping. Augustus was stage manager and both he & Arthur acted. In the fair maid of Wapping Arthur acted the part of savage and was so painted and tattooed that it was difficult to recognise him. Quentin Twiss acted capitally in The Thumping Legacy and kept us in a roar the whole time– The Prince seemed very much pleased. He sat on a raised arm chair at the back of the room and I and Mary Henniker sat behind him a little to the left. Lady Affleck sat at his right hand and Mrs Bruce on the other side. General Bruce and the duke of St Albans sat immediately behind him. The gravity of the evening was rather disturbed by the clumsiness of Augustus’ servant who was sent in to hand the Prince some tea. That individual after having offered the tea to the Prince, insisted upon passing in front of him in order to offer it to some ladies in the front row, thereby stepping upon H.R.H. toes and nearly knocking his head off with the tray. Fortunately H.R.H. took it in very good part and seemed very much amused– As soon as the theatricals were over (half past eleven) I drove with the Hennikers to the Trinity Gate and we had to run across the court to the brothers rooms. There we had a very pleasant and merry supper and left at about half past twelve to return to rest at the Bull–

Following Entry